Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Golden coins

Arlene told me that I would know when fall arrived. She said the wind would blow for half a day and then the trees would turn. Sure enough that day came and went...the wind blew and I waited. As you can see the leaves have turned and the ground looks like it is littered with round golden coins. Funny- the things you forget- it has been so long since I had heard the leaves falling. It is so quiet- you can hear them fall to the ground. Since we rarely have wind- the leaves do not have to compete with the howl of the wind (unlike Iowa and South Dakota). They just float through the air to the ground- slowly- almost like snow flakes. I guess the leaves are just letting me get used to the motion of things falling from the sky (snow is in my future).


Fuel has been delivered, the boiler is keeping the house warm and we are happy. Now we also have propane to fuel the grill and the future kitchen cooktop. Kitchen cabinets and appliances will arrive in early November so we will be camping out at the house with microwave and grill.
Mike and I have been extremely busy. No sleep and long days have kept us from this blog. We are trying to get into the house in the next two weeks. We have made alot of progress considering we are not electricians, painters or general contractors. I know we have really driven Casey crazy with our phone calls that go like this: "Casey- which wires do we hook up to what post and OUCH! that shocked me! No I don't have any red wires- I just have blue, white and black."....and that's how it goes with us....lots of phone calls and instruction over the phone on how to wire up 3 way switches and fan kits. Thank goodness Casey is more patient than his father- I'd hang up on Mike as ouchy as he can get. But regardless Mike has been busy getting all of the switches and plugs operational and now has them all working.


Once the sheetrocking work was complete- Mike sprayed all of the interior with primer, then paint. That was quite a job considering he had to be on a ladder to spray the ceiling. He'd come home all white from head to toe with eyelashes tipped in paint.

On the weekends- have been busy trimming (painting) out all of the walls, installing light fixtures and working at my real job during the week. I don't know whose idea it was to have the ceiling one color, the walls another and then for "interest" another color in the house! So we have white ceilings, tan walls and "focus" walls (green or burgundy). That equals alot of trimming out on the ladder since all of the walls are at least 10-14 feet high. The house looks great and will look even better once the windows are trimmed out and the floor installed. So below you are looking at the master bath, bedroom and kitchen lights.

I love ladders and they love me!
Master Bath

Master Bedroom


Kitchen Ceiling

Now that the painting is mostly completed- Mike has started to lay the stone floors. The radiant heat in the floors will heat the stone which in turn will keep us warm. So far the laundry room is completed, the bath and master bedroom are next to be laid. It is quite a process....Mike lays hardiboard floor underlayment, staples it into place, mixes mortar, tapes the seams in the area to be worked (only 9 sq feet at a time) and then lays the Slate tile. The Tile has such colors- it is really interesting and will work great with our paint colors and wood windows. Below you see the laundry room.
TODAY the the office is FINALLY sheetrocked and ready for paint. We had a different guy do this small job for us....just let me say....live and learn. Mike and I expect people to work like we do- no jabber breaks, no smoke breaks- just work until the work is done. At $25/ hour we figure we got about $10 worth of work per hour out of the guy. Expensive lesson learned- enough said.

Potatoes and carrots- While growing up in Iowa- we did not grow potatoes and carrots - I had never worked with them. So out of Arlene's garden, I pulled and dug until my hands were cold and I had mud up to my elbows. But what nice produce... the potatoes are sweet and baseball sized and the carrots are unlike any I have ever had.

MILESTONE: Mike has been anxious to take off the factory plastic that has been on our windows. Of course this couldn't be done until all the painting was completed. Finally he was able to tear it off and see outside. The real view to our seasonal pond and fall colors. He even got on the ladder to tear off the vault window plastic.

BIGGEST MOMENT: I guess the biggest moment this past week was when the neighbors told us that our "outdoor" lights light up the road. Wow- we had not really thought about that- as we leave before dark and don't return until the next morning. The lights are automatic so they turn on at dark. Sure enough those lights really shine....now it looks like somebody is home..... Soon....Yes we will be home soon.

1 comment:

Justine said...

Hey Mom! Just thought I'd leave you a note to tell you the stone floors are pretty sweet. I'm still disapointed about those postcards. I guess I'll have to send friends on missions to find me cool ones in Seatown. Anyways, can't wait to see you next month. This is the longest we've been apart and it makes me sad. Had a nightmare about you last night. I'll have to tell you about it later. I woke up crying. Anyways, love you lots. You still need to post more pics of Lillian.

Fire in Mat-Su Borough

Fire in Mat-Su Borough
Thick smoke from the local forest fire affected visibility.

Three Moose a Day!

Three Moose a Day!
A neighborhood moose a day keeps the "where's the moose" away!

Just a couple of miles up the Park's Highway....

Just a couple of miles up the Park's Highway....
A view of Denali Park & Chulitna River

You can see forever....

You can see forever....

Moose's Tooth

Moose's Tooth
Just a few miles from the house- the greatest views unobscured by houses, power lines or traffic.

Inside Passage

Inside Passage
What a view